26 Sep Key Sharp – Key Tech’s Custom Software Tool
Gain Faster Development Times with our Unique, Powerful & Proven Software
Key Tech has developed a PC-based software tool, called Key Sharp (Key#). Key# is built to reduce time to testing for prototypes – The average Key Tech client can save 1-2 months on the front end of a program. Key# provides a clean and intuitive UI to enable more team members, like Key Tech customers and manufacturing partners, to test devices who previously were unable to without a custom PC application. We saw a need for a flexible PC-based tool that will allow non-software engineers to easily communicate with embedded firmware that is run on devices. The result is more data, sooner in product development programs to inform decision making.
Why is Key# Better?
Key# is a common software framework that can be customized to unique design needs, like medical devices with sensors, cameras, pumps, motors, etc. Also, the Key# UI can be customized for the engineers that will be using it. Current methods that allow non-software engineers to control prototypes usually revolve around a custom PC application developed from scratch, specific to the prototype. This takes significant effort and time. Further, the PC app won’t have any practical commercial use, since a custom UI will likely need to be developed to control the product.
Getting the desired data efficiently isn’t always straightforward – Enter Key#
During development, it’s easy for Key Tech’s clients to think about what the end product will be, as they should. However, it is our job as the development partner to discuss the intermediate stepping stones to get there. Testing tools during development is one of these stepping stones that we find ourselves discussing with clients often.
It’s easy to understand that for a medical device to work well, you might be looking at a few design iterations of the device during development. Some subsystems may require more iterations to get it right than others. Characterization data, or simply test data, is needed in every step to inform design update decisions. For a design to be effective, it takes lots of data to get there, gobs of it. However, getting the desired data and getting it efficiently isn’t always straightforward. Many of these tests should be repeated to verify performance improvements over design iterations or prove reliability over time. A good set of testing software is critical in getting consistent data, and it should be collected at a reasonable schedule and cost.
Representative Use of Key#
As an example, if a medical device contains optical emitters and sensors for image processing, it might be useful to characterize factors that would affect the image quality to inform design decisions, such as:
- Luminescence over time
- Heat compensation
- Output wavelength variations in parts
- Performance drift over time
The end-users for this device will most likely not need control over these detailed parameters. Ideally, the software targeted for the end-users will automate and hide these variables, and just provide a clean and intuitive interface. However, the engineers designing and testing the instrument need access to these “low-level” variables so that proper characterization testing can be carried out. In addition, manufacturers can easily ship out prototypes to customers for testing, since Key# can be used to control the device, while the final GUI is still in development. A testing framework provided by Key# that can offer quick test planning and automated execution will bring a tremendous amount of value to both the development house and the clients.
Additional Key# attributes and benefits
- Ready to go solution to reduce time to data in the alpha stage – getting data faster and leaner when data informs design the most in early design stages
- Flexibility to provide Key Tech clients the ability to tweak parameters for data characterization
- Highly customizable software plugs into existing customer platforms or to target different user groups (i.e. advanced developers or entry-level technicians)
- Intuitive and user-friendly UI that minimizes the learning curve
- The end-user UI can use the same underlying communication modules
- Full source code is delivered to the client for the product
- Code is developed under design control, and can be validated as part of the overall project
Example Use of Key#
- Infusion Pump – Client team members can exercise and modify pumping protocols on an alpha prototype infusion pump concept delivered by Key Tech.
- Diagnostics – Client customer assay scientists can test assays with Key Tech prototypes, modifying instrument control to optimize testing.
- Surgical Robotics – Manufacturing partners can establish check-out tests on a surgical robotic subsystem, tapping into the embedded firmware on a Key Tech design.
Who doesn’t want faster development times in the MedTech industry? If you have a software-based medical device and need Key# to accelerate development time reach out or call us at 410-385-0200.
Latest posts by Lei Zong (see all)
- Key Sharp – Key Tech’s Custom Software Tool - September 26, 2019
- Get To Market Faster With These Software Programming Tips - January 27, 2016
- Reflection on the AACC 2011 Expo Floor - August 15, 2011